Week 8: Capstone Synthesis PracticumWeek 8: Capstone Synthesis Practicum Practicum Project Implementation Consider what would happen if scholar-practitioners kept their research projects to themselves. Instead of sharing their findings with the community, imagine if they guarded their research and did not allow others to learn and benefit from it. There would be no scholarly conversation, little advancement in a given field, and scant opportunity for social change. Thankfully, the nursing and healthcare fields provide many avenues for dissemination of research, including informal meetings and symposia, professional and academic conferences, and peer-reviewed publications. Through research, nurse executives work on projects to enhance their own workplaces, but their reach grows as other organizations and the field at large benefit from what they have learned. As you explore these introductory materials, think about which avenue would be most advantageous and feasible for disseminating your Practicum Project findings. 1. This week, while continuing to implement your project, you explore scholarly dissemination, including oral presentations, posters, and publications. You develop an abstract for a poster session sponsored by Walden University’s Phi Nu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. You also begin to prepare a PowerPoint presentation based on your Practicum Project, which you will share with your colleagues next week. Learning Objectives
Students will: • Justify dissemination of Practicum Project results
• Develop a plan for dissemination of scholarship
• Develop an abstract Learning Resources
Walden University Center for Research Quality. (n.d.-a). Dissemination resources. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/orsp/dissemination#s-Ig-box-7352058. Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.-h). Writing for publication: Choosing an audience. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/publication/audience. Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.-e). Scholarly voice: Writing Concisely. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/scholarlyvoice/writingconcisely. Conferences and Poster Presentations
Farrington, M. (2018). Sharing Knowledge through poster presentations. Head and Neck Nursing, 36(1), 4-6. https://sohnnurse.com/wp-content/uploads/Poster-Editoral.pdf. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. Note: Browse this site typical calls for conference proposals and abstract requirements. Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.-i). Writing for publication: Conference proposals & presentations. https://academicguides.walden.edu/writingcenter/publication/conference. Journals Review the types of articles the following journals produce as well as submission requirements for publication: BMJ Publishing Group. (n.d.). Evidence-Based Nursing. http://ebn.bmj.com/ Elsevier. (n.d.). Nurse Leader. http://www.nurseleader.com/ John Wiley & Sons. (n.d.-a). Journal of Nursing Management https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal /13652834
John Wiley & Son. (n.d.-b). Journal of Nursing Scholarship. https://sigmapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/jpurnal/15475069. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (n.d.). The Journal of Nursing Administration. http://journals.lww.com/jonajournal/pages/defalut.aspx. Rural Nurse Organization. (n.d.). Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health care. http://rnojournal.binghamton.edu/index.php//RNO. Document: Practicum Project Presentation Overview (PDF) NURS 6600 Practicum Project Presentation Overview
PowerPoint Presentation Notes
Your PowerPoint presentation should exhibit a professional appearance that reflects
thoughtful, thorough preparation. Consider the audience’s needs, and use your creativity
to design an engaging presentation. Your audience consists of your colleagues and
Faculty. This presentation also serves as the Portfolio Assignment for this course.
The use of PowerPoint as a presentation method allows you to create a narrative to
convey essential aspects of your Practicum Project. As you develop your presentation,
structure the information to provide a logical flow from the beginning (introduction) to the
middle to the end (conclusion).
Determine a title for each slide. As you create each slide, include the slide title at the top
to help orient the audience, and make sure the slide text is concise and easy to read.
While you may wish to include a few photos or graphics, be mindful that including too
many of these items can be distracting and may result in problems with file size and
PowerPoint Presentation Instructions
Develop a 12- to 15-slide PowerPoint presentation that includes the following:
• A title slide with the following:
o Your name
o Presentation title
o Submission date
• A slide showing presentation objectives
• A summary of the Practicum Project topic, goal, objectives, and rationale
• A summary of the Practicum Project methodology
• A summary of the Practicum Project findings
• Conclusions and recommendations that incorporate an evaluation of the Practicum
Project findings in terms of utility and potential for impact within the nurse
executive specialization and your practicum organization’s environment
• Examples of scholarly product(s) developed for the Practicum Project, if applicable
(you may use screenshots or scans to incorporate these items into your
• A summary slide that properly synthesizes and concludes the presentation
• A list of references (including a minimum of five scholarly resources), properly
formatted using APA Style
In addition, you must do the following:
Design your slides appropriately. Presentation design and aesthetics should complement
the work being presented and aim to engage the audience. The evaluation of your
presentation will address not just the appropriateness and inclusion of all required content but also the extent to which the slides are neat, organized, and visually appealing.
Write detailed speaker notes for each slide (except the title and reference slides) to
complement the slide content. Speaker notes should be clear, in-depth, and function as
augmentation of the slide material. Document: Poster Abstract Template (Word document). Discussion (3 pages) Dissemination of Scholarship Related to the Practicum Project Throughout this course, you have been developing and implementing your Practicum Project. Dissemination of the findings of your Practicum Project is critical for advancing the nursing field and your specialty area. Without proper dissemination, the Practicum Project cannot achieve its intended impact. Publishing an article in a respected peer-reviewed journal is one means of reaching an audience interested in evidence-based solutions to nursing practice problems. Other options include conference presentations and poster sessions. Photo Credit: Getty Images Think about your Practicum Project. Which groups would find your project findings, conclusions, and recommendations most valuable? Why? How might your focus differ if you were delivering a presentation at a professional conference versus at your practicum site? What would you emphasize if you were publishing an article in a peer-reviewed journal related to your specialization as opposed to in an online forum with a wider healthcare readership? 1. For this Discussion, you justify dissemination of your Practicum Project findings and select a method that you would use. To prepare: • Reflect on your Practicum Project.
• Speak with various individuals, especially those in your practicum setting, about presentations or poster sessions they have given and/or publications they have authored. Ask which organizations or journals they would recommend you consider for dissemination based on your Practicum Project topic.
• Consider the following questions related to dissemination:
• Who is your target audience? Who would be most interested in your project findings, conclusions, and recommendations? Consider how the needs or dispositions of the intended audience may inform your choice of dissemination method.
• Which method of dissemination would you choose to convey the findings, conclusions, or recommendations from your Practicum Project? What are the relative benefits and challenges of giving a presentation, sharing your findings through a poster session, and/or publishing an article?
• Consider various nursing, healthcare, and leadership and management organizations and journals. What is one organization or journal you would select for your presentation or publication?
• What are some potential challenges? Evaluate what you could do to increase the possibility that your presentation, poster, or manuscript would be accepted.
• Conduct a search of the literature using the Walden Library and other reliable sources. Locate two or more articles published in peer-reviewed journals within the last 5 years that relate to your Practicum Project. These articles should demonstrate the significance of the topic for nurse executives. Note: These articles may also help you determine if your project findings are related to an area that will contribute to a more comprehensive literature base. By Day 3
2. Post a brief description of your Practicum Project, including the anticipated outcomes and implications for nursing practice in the nurse executive specialty. Explain why your results warrant dissemination. Describe your target audience, and explain which method of dissemination you would use and why, as well as the organization or journal you would choose for sharing findings related to your Practicum Project. Support your response with at least two citations from the literature. Read a selection of your colleagues’ response By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days, using one or more of the following approaches: • Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
• Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
• Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research. Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submits. Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric: Week 8 Discussion Rubric To Participate in this Discussion: Week 8 Discussion Assignment Part( 7 pages) Practicum Project Poster Abstract (APA format 7th ed) If you want to spark conversation with nursing scholars in person, poster sessions are an appropriate way to disseminate your research. Posters are a typical offering at many professional and academic conferences. In this format, each presenter displays a poster and stands beside it, ready to engage with any participants who walk through the room. As such, posters can be dynamic ways to see audience receptiveness to your research, up close and in real time. 1. For this Assignment, you will practice communicating your project topic, findings, and recommendations in the context of one dissemination method: a conference. Photo Credit: Getty Images Specifically, you will develop an abstract for a poster session based on your Practicum Project. The call for abstracts comes from Phi Nu, Walden’s chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, and is representative of others you may see in the field. To prepare: • Review the Writing Center materials on conference proposals and presentations and on writing concisely.
• Download and complete the Poster Abstract Template found in the Learning Resources. Answer the questions in numerical order and write concisely.
• Tip: When submitting abstracts through juried/peer-reviewed processes, follow exact directions. Do not give reviewers a reason to eliminate your abstract. As future scholar-practitioners, you will submit abstracts to disseminate scholarly works. It is imperative that you follow exact directions. By Day 7
• Submit your completed Poster Abstract using the Poster Abstract Template.
• Submission and Grading Information
• To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
• Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK8Assgn+last name+first initial. (extension)” as the name.
• Click the Week 8 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
• Click the Week 8 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
• Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK8Assgn+last name+first initial. (extension)” and click Open.
• If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
• Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
• Grading Criteria
• To access your rubric:
• Week 8 Assignment Rubric
• Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
• To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
• Submit your Week 8 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
• Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
• To participate in this Assignment: Week 8 Assignment