Tactical analysis in team sports
Tactical evaluation in group sports activities
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–89 81
Tendencies of tactical efficiency evaluation in group sports activities: bridging the hole between analysis, coaching and competitors
Júlio Garganta Centre of Analysis, Training, Innovation and Intervention in Sport (CIFI2D) College of Sports activities College of Porto Portugal
ABSTRACT Efficiency in Staff Sports activities is carried out by way of a long run and methodical coaching course of deliberate to enhance expertise and competence required to take care of aggressive calls for. Regardless of that tactical constraint play a serious position in Staff Sports activities efficiency the historical past of its scientific evaluation has been pushed by physiological and biomechanical method, pay- ing little consideration to the tactical behaviour of the gamers and group organisation. For coaches and researchers, tactical analy- ses will be useful, since they provide the chance to determine match regularities and random options of sport occasions. The details about efficiency is essential to attain particular person and group efficacy, additionally as a result of it constitutes a primary criterion for coaching course of. As soon as tactical main options are recognized, they'll inform coaching and efficiency enhancement pro- grams. Regardless the technological progress, the evaluation of tactical efficiency in Staff Sports activities stays an under-theo- rised area, since there was no important quantity of analysis undertaken to determine crucial elements underpin- ning efficiency. Thus, it appears related to search out out ideas and strategies permitting to assemble and to organise data about sport complexity and dynamic interplay properties of the groups. The principle objective of this paper is to level out that conceptual body about tactical indicators in Staff Sports activities ought to be a serious orientation to bridge the hole between analysis, coaching and competitors.
Key-words: group sports activities, ways, efficiency evaluation
RESUMO Tendências da análise do desempenho táctico nos jogos desportivos: em busca da harmonia entre investigação, treino e competição
A efficiency nos jogos desportivos colectivos é viabilizada, em grande parte, pelo recurso a processos de treino metódicos e planeados a longo prazo para desenvolver habilidades e competências que permitam lidar de modo eficaz com as exigências das competições. Apesar de, reconhecidamen- te, os constrangimentos tácticos desempenharem um papel nuclear nos jogos desportivos colectivos, a investigação tem sido predominantemente orienta- da para as abordagens fisiológicas e biomecânicas, em detrimento da aten- ção devotada ao comportamento táctico dos jogadores e das equipas. A análise da efficiency táctica pode ser profícua para treinadores e investigadores, na medida em que possibilita a identificação de regulari- dades e contingências, com base na observação do modo como jogadores e equipas engendram e gerem os eventos de jogo. Assim sendo, a informa- ção sobre o desempenho táctico torna-se essential para perseguir a eficácia particular person e colectiva, também porque constitui um preceito basic para dar coerência ao processo de treino, na relação com a competição que o legitima. Uma vez identificadas as principais características e exigências tácticas, a partir delas é possível tornar o treino mais específico e adequar outros programas de aprimoramento do desempenho. Deste modo, o défice de investigação empreendida para identificar os constrangimentos mais relevantes que condicionam o rendimento nos jogos desportivos colectivos, nomeadamente no que se reporta ao desem- penho táctico, justifica a necessidade de agenciar conceitos e métodos que permitam organizar o conhecimento sobre a complexidade do jogo e as propriedades de interacção dinâmica das equipas. O propósito principal deste artigo é aduzir argumentos que mostrem que a procura e a identificação de indicadores tácticos relevantes em jogos des- portivos colectivos constitui uma orientação basic para demandar a harmonia entre pesquisa, treino e competição neste grupo de modalidades.
Palavras-chave: jogos desportivos colectivos, táctica, análise da per- formance
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 81
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–8982
INTRODUCTION The bounds of human efficiency are frequently being pushed in step with the Olympic motto output: ‘stronger, larger, quicker’(60). In impact, sports activities scientists, coaches, and athletes are repeatedly on the lookout for methods to supply a slight, authorized benefit in athletic efficiency (49). Staff Sports activities (TS) check with video games performed between two opposing groups. The gamers work together straight and concurrently to attain an goal that entails group members facilitating the motion of a ball or an identical merchandise in accordance with a algorithm, so as to rating factors and to stop the opposition from scoring(14,38,62). In these sport disciplines, the efficiency is carried out by way of a long run and methodical coaching course of deliberate to enhance technical and tactical expertise, in addition to strategic com- petence, required to take care of match calls for. In TS, the exercise of gamers and groups is developed by altering circumstances, with the preponderance of tactical options relying on (14): 1) the type of opposition amongst opponents and the form of coop- eration involving team-mates; 2) the large levels of freedom and variability; three) the traits of technical expertise to behave in particular circumstances. Gréhaigne(22) factors out that TS brings in three fundamental classes of issues, associated with: a) house and time; b) info, and c) group. Due to this fact, the French writer highlights tactical and strategic aspects of the sport. Taking into consideration the fundamental movement of gamers in its completely different modalities (standing, strolling, jogging, reasonable pace working, sprinting, …), it's attainable to state that the real causes for its expression have to be consistently primarily based upon on a tactical/strategic objective; the participant stands or positions himself to some place, with larger or decrease depth, at a cer- tain second, in relation to the sport configuration. Provided that any motion ought to have a tactical purpose, the evaluation of indicators resembling the gap coated through the sport, gamers´ heart-rate, or time movement, can purchase a bigger pertinence when associated to the sport tactical requests, specifically the type of play, the offensive and defensive play strategies, and the posi- tional and purposeful standing of the gamers(14, 15). Thus, in TS setting, the Olympic slogan seems to be incom- plete - “stronger, larger, quicker” – as a result of it lacks the
phrase “smarter”. Smartness in TS refers back to the capaci- ty to take care of house, time and job constraints, not solely to react to the completely different sport eventualities but additionally appearing so as to create them. Regardless of tactical constraints performs a fundamental position in TS, only some papers deal explicitly with scientific method on tactical setting. Actually, the historical past of scientific evaluation in TS has been pushed by physio- logical and biomechanical method, paying little consideration to the tactical behaviour of the gamers and group group. The focal objective of this paper is to argue that analysis about tactical options, primarily in what con- cerns group’s group, in several sport phases (offensive, defensive and transition play), ought to be a serious orientation to bridge the hole between analysis, coaching and competitors in TS.
TACTICAL MODELLING: CONCEPTS AND IDEAS For coaches and researchers, tactical modelling will be useful as a result of it provides the chance to iden- tify match regularities and random options of sport occasions in response to the offensive and defensive play. Clearly the details about efficiency is cru- cial to attain particular person and group efficacy, additionally as a result of it constitutes a primary criterion for the train- ing course of. A number of authors have been making an attempt to stipulate signifi- cant tactical efficiency options in TS(7, 9, 14, 20, 21, 29, 38, 41, 48, 51, 56). On this vary, sport modelling has been used to supply detection of patterns amongst match play occasions, in response to the traits that afford gamers and group’s success or failure. As said by Lames & Hansen(37), it is very important ask whether or not fashions comprise the important attributes of the unique sport sport noticed. That’s why, lately, sport sports activities analysis has turn out to be conscious that one other facet of the mannequin constructing course of has maybe not been sufficient consideration: the aim of the mannequin. So as to achiever deeper perception into the TS tactical sport, it's essential to file the substantial tactical actions in a chronological, sequential order, so the stream of tactical behaviour will be acknowledged(55). In view of TS because the composite of complicated interac- tions, systemic method brings us to contemplate, amongst others, two fundamental organizational ranges:
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 82
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–89 83
“match” and “group”(25). A match1 constitutes a fancy system and the central notion of opposition leads us to contemplate two groups as interacting organ- ized programs(24). The sport could also be regarded as dwelling within the areas of meta-stability (see Kelso(34), the place particular person actions could serve to destabilize or (re)stabilize the system. The ability with which an attacker or a defender could destabilize or (re)stabilize the system can be thought-about an indicator of high quality in sport competitors. Usually phrases, the flexibility of a group to destabilize or (re)stabilize a system could be exam- ined at vital junctures of a sport, say on the occur- rence of an sudden change of ball possession. Modelling a dynamic system means mapping not solely its parts and input-output behaviour but additionally specifically its parts interplay(Four, 14, 24, 41, 53). From this viewpoint, the details about the interplay processes generated by the interactiv- ity by teammates and opponents occurs to indicate an impressive relevancy as a result of observing how interplay in a concurrent and aggressive scenario happens can facilitate the design of particular and advan- tageous preparation. So far analysis doesn't progress considerably fur- ther than the unique work of McGarry & Franks(43)
and Hughes et al.(31) to develop new and inclusive strategies of dynamic evaluation of sports activities contests, and notably in TS. However, dynamic programs analyses could maintain the important thing to unlocking the “hidden logic” of sports activities efficiency and variability with- in(19). The potential of those fashions to pay attention enormously complicated behaviour into easy expres- sions has been confirmed(Four, 30, 31, 38, 53, 55) and provides a major benefit over the labour intensive and inefficient method required inside conventional nota- tional evaluation. So as to describe and interpret sport sequences in several sports activities, Anguera et al.(2) recommend a notewor- thy instrument - the Observational Methodology. On this scope some authors have been utilizing sequential evaluation and polar-coordinates approach of their works(1, 5, 11, 12, 40, 52, 56, 59). Garganta(14) put ahead an method to sport obser- vation primarily based on a double degree evaluation plan: i) the creation of a theoretical map with related match efficiency indicators concerning tactical organiza-
tion; ii) the remark of sport sequences and exploitation of knowledge coming from each qualitative and quantitative evaluation of group’s and participant’s group. Such an intention may be very difficult due the character and variety of the constraints that compete for the success in TS, specifically: i) the complexity in regards to the plentiful relationships among the many gamers(24,64): ii) the truth that sport occasions don't correspond to a predictable sequence of actions(Eight,13); iii) the acute sensitivity of group and participant’s behaviours to the preliminary circumstances, taking into consideration the big quantity of variables and its interplay(14, 39). For example, in sports activities disciplines resembling Soccer, Basketball or Handball, the groups compete for pos- session of the ball, which have to be handed by way of a purpose, whereas in Volleyball, the groups cross the ball in an try to put it in touch with an space of the opponents taking part in area. The groups concerned in a match behave just like self-organized programs looking for order and form in a macroscopic plan, in response to the interactions produced by the gamers(18). The individuality and levels of freedom of group’s efficiency are depending on quite a lot of gamers and their attainable interactions in sport(39). Every group goals to disturb or to interrupt the opponents’ stability, with the inten- tion to generate dysfunction in its group. Alternatively, groups intend to guarantee their very own stabili- ty and group. This manner, the actions carried out alongside the matches are inclined to guarantee house and time benefit over the contender, which signifies that the confrontation determines, normally, a winner and a loser. As a result of groups characterize dynamical systems2 organ- ised in accordance with ideas and prescriptions, gamers and group’s behaviour is generated from the strain amongst regularities (14, 44, 57) and the produc- tion of novelty (14, 21). On this sense, groups proceed as specialised programs strongly dominated by technique and heuristic competences(18). Some years in the past Leon Teodorescu(61) claims that it isn't advisable to cut back TS to any algorithm mannequin, as a result of group motion doesn't characterize predictable sequences. Gréhaigne(23) appeals for a sort of heuris- tic reasoning and he reinforces this concept referring that if the cascade of choices will probably be restricted to
Tactical evaluation in group sports activities
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 83
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–8984
an algorithm of binary alternative, an impoverishment essentially takes place, bringing a few limitation in sport evaluation. Lames & Hansen(37) alleged that the multi-causal construction of prognosis in TS calls for an interpretative relatively than algorithmic method. The swot up of group’s and participant’s tactical organiza- tion afford the chance to determine sport occasions, specifically the identification of some sample expressing preferential methods or types of motion, and the distinc- tive characters exhibiting the variability of behaviours and occasions (14, 17). Lames & McGarry(38) asserts that what we see by observing a sports activities sport is a dynamical interplay course of through which measures and countermeasures are taken in an try to beat the opponent. This suggests that the behaviour produced will not be primarily the expression of secure properties of the person gamers. On this context, the decision-making behav- iour is greatest thought-about on the degree of the performer- setting relationship and seen as rising from the interactions of people with environ- psychological constraints over time particular purposeful objectives(three). Due to this fact, the issue is that an sufficient interpre- tation of numerical and visible knowledge has to contemplate particular person circumstances (ways, technique), but additionally situational elements like bodily and cognitive processes through the sport, the standard of opponent and the preparation degree(37).
The important thing position of tactical efficiency indicators The previous couple of years have seen appreciable analysis on the efficiency evaluation of sport competitors(for a evaluation see 28). The introduction of pc expertise facilitated the detailed recording and evaluation of sports activities behaviours and took centre stage within the early growth of assorted notation programs. The belief implicit in lots of of those preliminary research was that the recorded variables have been related to the efficiency consequence. On this expectation, the coach would hunt down the vital efficiency fea- tures to alter future behaviours on the premise of knowledge gathered from previous performances(41). Though we don't deny the significance of video- expertise, mathematical strategies or software program and hardware enchancment, the precise technique should
deal with effort to assemble indicators that will be capable of describe fundamental sport occasions, contemplating the opposition and cooperation relationships among the many gamers and groups. Far more than figures, infor- mation elapses from the notation and interpretation of the quantity of tactical modelling of sport play. This suggests to grasp the sport past the evaluation and notation programs. Match analysts should be capable of test the relevance and descriptive energy of efficiency indicators and to tell apart the core options of the sport. In keeping with Hughes & Bartlett(33), a efficiency indicator is a variety, or mixture, of motion variables that goals to outline some or all elements of a efficiency. Clearly, to be helpful, efficiency indi- cators ought to relate to profitable efficiency or consequence. Analysts and coaches use efficiency indicators to evaluate the efficiency of an individ- ual, a group or parts of a group. Additionally Hughes & Bartlett(33) affirm that the choice and use of efficiency indicators rely on the analysis questions being posed. Groups and gamers are both ’actors’ or ’reactors’. Actors are extra like- ly to provoke a perturbation and to destabilize the stability, whereas reactors are extra seemingly to answer a perturbation and to revive the stability to some semblance of stability. In such the group that lead section relation (motion) can take benefit over the group with the lag section relation (response), which ought to materialize in a successful consequence. The notion perturbation could result in a disrup- tion in sports activities behaviour has been analysed in soccer (see 24, for a associated consideration of the altering configurations). Hughes et al.(31) outlined a perturbation in soccer as an incident that adjustments the rhythmic circulate of attack- ing and defending, resulting in a taking pictures alternative. For instance, a perturbation could possibly be recognized from a penetrating cross, a dribble, a change of tempo or any ability that creates a disruption within the defence and permits an attacker a taking pictures alternative. In some circumstances, a perturbation of the defence could not end in a shot, owing to defensive expertise or an absence of ability in assault. This reasoning supposes that the defend- ing group seems to be to (re)stabilize the simply destabilized system, in impact dampening or ’smoothing out’ the disruption brought on by the perturbation. If a perturba- tion ought to end in a taking pictures alternative, then
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 84
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–89 85
this occasion is termed a ’vital incident’. Utilizing this definition, Hughes et al.(31) reported important dif- ferences within the purpose to perturbation ratios between profitable and unsuccessful groups within the 1996 European Championships. Such an evaluation sup- posed vital incident (a shot on purpose) have to be preceded by a perturbation - that's, some facet of ability that disrupted the conventional rhythm of the sport. The collective behaviour of a fancy system can't be defined from separate investigations of the behaviour of its elements(45). As an alternative, the system have to be seen in its entirety after which diminished to a mini- mum however common set of ideas, relatively than to the basic properties(35). It was recognised that some traits of dynamic programs – specifically transient intervals of insta- bility – have been occurring naturally inside noticed sports activities efficiency. McGarry et al.(41), due to this fact rea- soned, and later confirmed(46) stability dis- rupting perturbation occurred when the standard secure rhythm of play was disturbed by excessive parts of excessive or low ability. It turned clear that the evaluation of perturbations in sport supplied a extra vital and dynamic methodology of investigation on “dynamical con- figuration of play”(24) and due to this fact a major step in the direction of efficient assist to coaches and perform- ance.
WHERE TO LOOK TO “SEE” TACTICAL RELEVANT INDICATORS? A group sport is a world occasion made up of a number of associated micro-events. Particular person members should har- monise into an efficient unit so as to obtain the specified consequence. In such contexts the evaluation of how properly the group is taking part in and the way a lot individ- uals contribute to group effort presents a problem each to the coach and to sport scientists(6). Perl & Weber(54) held that the processes in sport will be described as time sequence of patterns, which might as properly characterize conditions (e.g. positions on the playground) as actions (e.g., shifting of gamers). Instruments such neural networks allow recognition and classification of those patterns. In TS setting, Schöllhorn(58) illustrates some holistic group qualities for describing the behaviour of a group in house and time as a complete, specifically the time cours-
es of actions on the sector, the realm coated by gamers, the group’s geometric form in time, and the motion of group geometric centre. Over the past years, some research have tried to supply a theoretical foundation to efficiency analy- sis analysis when it comes to function identification(10, 14, 51)
and important variables which characterise sport pat- terns in TS(30, 32, 51). Nonetheless our understanding of vital behaviours nonetheless stays in its infancy. In a big a part of a number of works, the authors collect and characterise quantities of knowledge and describe the sport variables behaviour, proscribing their evaluation to the conditions main to attain. However, the outline of the offensive course of and the evalua- tion of its effectiveness primarily based solely on the rating alternatives, solely enable a really restricted under- standing of the sport dynamics and group perform- ance(15, 27). For researchers and coaches, it appears related to focus not solely on the scoring actions, but additionally on different ones that allow to note groups´ manufacturing, in conformity with the cascade of functions concern- ing the assault, defence and turnovers. On this approach, the holistic analyses that time out group organisa- tion, by way of the identification of regularities and random options of sport actions, contemplating offen- sive and defensive efficacy, could possibly be advantageous. It justifies looking for important indicators regarding sport occasions and so its required to scrutinize the transitions and metamorphosis that present the dynamical circulate of participant’s and group’s efficiency. For instance, Lago & Martin(36) made an empirical analysis in regards to the determinants of ball possession as a efficiency indicator in soccer; and Garganta(14) means that tactical efficiency indi- cators ought to reproduce the relative significance of illustrative latent variables, e.g., time, house and sport taking part in duties (Determine 1), in addition to how play- ers and groups exploit these elements of efficiency. These will probably be mirrored within the ways in which people and groups assault and defend, how they use the areas within the taking part in floor and the number of play- ing actions(14, 17, 42). As such, the primary topic of tactical evaluation shouldn't be the participant’s actions, taken disjointedly, however the sport play sequences ensuing from the actions that happen through the completely different phases of the match.
Tactical evaluation in group sports activities
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 85
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–8986
Behaviours are important in the event that they brake the stability assault/defence of the opponent, or as a result of they exhibit a sure permanence within the variability of actions. From this standpoint, such a change implies the development of observational and notational programs taking into consideration (Determine 2): the match organisa- tion, ranging from the options of sequential actions (tactical models), carried out by the groups; the charac- teristics of the sequences resulting in completely different out- comes; and the conditions through which, whether or not a rating happens or not, there's a perturbation within the stability assault/defence. Whereas the important problem to gamers in TS is to gen- erate and to handle interplay so as to set up the personal group and to brake the opponent’s stability, tactical options have to be understood as sport “func- tional models”, containing the essential details about match play group and its efficacy. Therefore, it's attainable to make use of details about the group patterns revealed by a group alongside sev- eral video games to come back as much as conclusions in regards to the effectiveness of gamers’ behaviour in different video games. Ranging from an evaluation of this sort it appears perti-
nent to design fashions that formalise group’s organi- zation in response to variations and regularities that configure match play occasions, in response to the sport phases, i.e., assault, defence and transition play.
FINAL REMARKS Regardless the technological progress, tactical mod- elling stays an under-theorised area, since there was no important quantity of analysis undertaken to determine tactical options underpinning efficiency in TS. Thus, it appears related to search out out ideas and strategies permitting to assemble and to organise data about sport complexity and dynamic interplay properties of the groups. As soon as tactical focal options and its pertinence are recognized, they'll inform coaching and efficiency enhancement programmes. So, it must be realised related cou- pling of knowledge from sport remark and the participant’s and group’s coaching course of(37). The query is, as states Perl(53), how tactical mod- elling can assist to analyse and perceive the pres- ent state in addition to predict the long run behaviour of a dynamic system, so as to replace coaching and competitors. Due to their complicated inside inter-
Determine 1. Instance of latent varia- bles and tactical
efficiency indicators in Soccer [Adap. Garganta(15)].
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 86
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–89 87
actions, the time-dependent behaviour of dynamic programs can't be predicted utilizing static description fashions solely. As an alternative, fashions should be developed that replicate the system dynamics and assist to simu- late its behaviour. Memmert & Perl(47) refers that to guage perform- ance knowledge from TS, usually qualitative and quanti- tative strategies are used individually, and recommended the mixture of net-based qualitative analyses and stochastic quantitative analyses to enhance the data output considerably. Neville, Atkinson & Hughes(49) observe that regardless of many type of analysis strategies and strategies to mannequin efficiency in sport (i.e., empirical model- ling, stochastic modelling, dynamic programs, neural networks, and fuzzy logic), used singly or in combi- nation, to this point, outcomes have been disappointing virtually. Actually, over the last years the usage of computer systems and complicated software program develops clearly quicker than the development of ideas and concepts about tips on how to observe and to study from beginning tactical sport setting and its dynamical properties. Nonetheless, and being important to resolve what infor- mation is necessary and whether or not it may be used to enhance efficiency(6), the selections concerning methods for gathering knowledge, processing informa- tion and presenting the outcomes are linked with the mind-set(Four). For that purpose, strategies and instruments to modelling per- formance in TS want to not be unique of one another. A hybrid sort of description (or mannequin) could also be acceptable sooner or later. Thus, additional analysis on sports activities contests utilizing numerous varieties of system descriptions is warranted 49.
We don't dare to doubt the significance regarding technological growth in evaluation of perform- ance in TS. However, we assist that the tech- nological sophistication will not be adequate to look at and to notice effectively sport options neither to grasp its configurations. Efficiency evaluation turns into helpful at any time when it corresponds to the pro- gressive refinement and extension of the observa- tional variables, within the sense of accelerating its descriptive and explanatory potential in response to the consultant sport occasions. Consequently, the dynamic interactions expressed by the stability and misbalance of group group, appears to be key-features to explain and form per- formance in TS. Contemplating the complexity and uncertainty of TS (14, 63), deterministic modelling appears not acceptable to arrange efficiency analy- sis. As states Balagué & Torrents Four and Lames & McGarry(37), behind the usage of mathematical model- ling, simulation strategies or computing tech- niques, it's crucial to incorporate qualitative analysis strategies to reach on the crucial inference for sport observe. Looking for identification and interpretation of considerable sport behaviour, it’s crucial to assem- ble info primarily based on portions of high quality of sport taking part in. On this sense we should pay attention to “sport circulate” and its adjustments(16), creating ideas and instruments from the dynamic programs method and com- puter science to deal with complexity(Four). First we should discovered (the correct variables and indi- cators); then we now have to seek for its expression within the match. In one other phrases, the sport can reply to all our questions … if we all know how and what to ask. Because it appears pertinent to create and to enhance dynamics-sensitive instruments to grasp sport’s logic in TS, in accordance tactical stream (see Gréhaigne, Mahut & Fernandez(26), sport analysts and match observers ought to be group sport specialists previous to technological specialists. Could also be this is without doubt one of the keys to bridge the hole in the direction of a complete hyperlink between analysis, coaching and competitors.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS The writer needs to thank Marc Verlinden (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) for his assist, solutions and suggestions.
Tactical evaluation in group sports activities
Determine 2. Evolution of match evaluation in Staff Sports activities [Adap. Garganta(15)].
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 87
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–8988
NOTAS 1 In keeping with Lebed(39), “sport” is as system of ordered infor- mation, a code of guidelines proscribing and defining members´ behaviours in specifically constructed circumstances of house, time and means; “match” is a technique of collaborating sides (sys- tems) competing between them; “sport taking part in” is a system, which straight capabilities in sport competitors circumstances. A sin- gle participant or a group of gamers can characterize such a system. 2 In keeping with McGarry & Franks(45), a dynamical system is a sort of complicated system, one through which regularity self-organizes from inside on account of info exchanges that happen each inside and outdoors the system (i.e., among the many elements that comprise the system, and between the system and its sur- rounding constraints, respectively).
REFERENCES 1. Amaral R, Garganta J (2005). A modelação do jogo em
Futsal. Análise sequencial do 1x1 no processo ofensivo. Revista Portuguesa de Ciências do Desporto, three (5): 298-310.
- Anguera M, Blanco A, Losada J, Hernández A (2000). La metodología observacional en el deporte: Conceptos bási- cos. Lecturas: EF y Deportes. Revista Digital 5 (24).
- Araújo D, Davids Ok, Hristovski R (2006). The ecological dynamics of determination making in sport. Psychology of Sport and Train 7 (6): 653-676.
- Balagué N, Torrents C (2005). Pondering earlier than computing: altering approaches in sports activities efficiency. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport Four (1): 5-13.
- Caldeira N (2001). Estudo da relevância contextual das situ- ações de 1x1, no processo ofensivo em Futebol com recurso à Análise Sequencial. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Carling C, Williams M, Reilly T (2005). Handbook of Soccer Match Evaluation. A scientific method to bettering efficiency. London: Routledge.
- Deleplace R (1979). Rugby de mouvement - Rugby whole. Paris: E.P.S.
- Dufour W (1993). Laptop-assisted scouting in soccer. In Science and Soccer II: Proceedings of the Second World Congress of Science and Soccer (pp. 160-166). Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- Dugrand M (1989). Soccer de la transparence à la complexité. Paris: Universitaires de France.
- Ferreira A, Volossovitch A, Gonçalves I (2003). Methodological and dynamic perspective to find out crit- ical moments on sport sport. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport 2(2): 119-122.
- Ferreira D (2006). Métodos de jogo ofensivo na transição defe- sa-ataque em Andebol. Estudo do contra-ataque e do ataque rápi- do com recurso à análise sequencial. Porto: Davide Ferreira. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Ferreira N (2006). O processo ofensivo em desigualdade numéri-
ca no Andebol. Um estudo com recurso à análise sequencial. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Garganta J (1994). Para uma teoria dos jogos desportivos colectivos. In A. Graça & J. Oliveira (Eds.), O ensino dos jogos desportivos (1ª ed., Vol. 1, pp. 11-26). Faculdade de Desporto da Universidade do Porto: Rainho & Neves Lda.
- Garganta J (1997). Modelação táctica do jogo de futebol – estu- do da organização da fase ofensiva em equipas de alto rendimento. Dissertação de Doutoramento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Garganta J (2001). Tactical modelling in Soccer: a vital view. In M. Hughes & F. Tavares (Eds.), Proceedings of IV World Congress of Notational Evaluation of Sport (pp. 33-40). Faculdade de Desporto da Universidade do Porto.
- Garganta J (2005). Dos constrangimentos da acção à liber- dade de (inter)acção, para um futebol com pés… e cabeça. In A. Duarte (Ed.), O contexto da decisão - a acção táctica do desporto (Vol. 1, pp. 179-190). Lisboa: Visão e Contextos Lda.
- Garganta J (2007). Modelação táctica em jogos desportivos: a desejável cumplicidade entre pesquisa, treino e competição. In F. Tavares, A. Graça & J. Garganta (Eds.), Proceedings do 1º Congresso Internacional de Jogos Desportivos – Cd-Rom. Porto: Faculdade de Desporto da Universidade do Porto e Centro de Estudos dos Jogos Deportivos.
- Garganta J, Cunha e Silva P (2000). O jogo de futebol: entre o caos e a regra. Horizonte Revista de Educação Física e Desporto 16(91): 5-Eight.
- Garganta J, Gréhaigne JF (1999). Abordagem sistémica do jogo de futebol: moda ou necessidade. Revista Movimento 5(10): 40-50.
- Godik M, Popov A (1993). Estructura de la actividad de juego (competitiva) de los jugadores como base para la organización del proceso de entrenamiento. In M. Godik & A. Popov (Eds.), La preparación del futbolista (pp. 35-67). Barcelona: Paidotribo.
- Gréhaigne JF (1989). “Soccer de Mouvement”. Vers une approche systémique du jeu. UFR-STAPS: Jean Gréhaigne. Dissertation de Doctorat, Université de Bourgogne.
- Gréhaigne JF (1991). A brand new methodology of purpose evaluation. Science and Soccer 5: 10-16.
- Gréhaigne JF (1992). L’organisation du jeu en soccer. Paris: Joinville-le-Pont.
- Gréhaigne JF, Bouthier D, David B (1997). Dynamic-sys- tem evaluation of opponent relationships in collective actions in soccer. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 15: 137-149.
- Gréhaigne JF., & Godbout, P. (1995). Tactical Information in Staff Sports activities from a Constructivist and Cognitivist Perspective. Quest 47(Four): 490-505.
- Gréhaigne, JF, Mahut B, Fernandez A (2001). Qualitative remark instruments to research soccer. Worldwide Journal of Efficiency Evaluation in Sport 1(1): 52-61.
- Harris S, Reilly T (1988). House, teamwork and attacking success in soccer. In T. Reilly, A. Lees, Ok. Davis & W. Murphy (Eds.), Science and Soccer - Proceedings on the First World Congress of Science and Soccer (pp. 322-328). Liverpool, 1987. London-New York: E. & F.N. Spon.
- Hughes C, Franks I (1997). Notational evaluation of sport. London: E. & F.N Spon.
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 88
Rev Port Cien Desp 9(1) 81–89 89
- Hughes M (1996). Notational Evaluation. In T. Reilly (Ed.), Science and soccer (pp. 343-361). London: E. & F.N. Spon.
- Hughes M, David R, Dawkin N (2001). Important Incidents resulting in taking pictures in soccer. In M. Hughes (Ed.), Notational Evaluation of Sport III (pp. 10-21). Cardiff: UWIC Press.
- Hughes M, Dawkins N, David D, Mills J (1998). The per- turbation impact and purpose alternatives in soccer. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 16: 20-21.
- Hughes M, Reed D (2005). Making a efficiency profile utilizing perturbations in soccer. In D. Milanovic & F. Prot. (Eds.), Proceedings of 4th Worldwide Scientific Convention on Kinesiology (pp. 34-53). Zagreb: College of Zagreb, Croatia.
- Hughes MD, Bartlett RM (2002). The usage of efficiency indicators in efficiency evaluation. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 20(10): 739-754.
- Kelso S (1995). Dynamic Patterns: The self-organization of mind and habits. Champaign, Illinois: Human Kinetics.
- Kelso S, Tuller B (1984). A dynamical base for motion sys- tems. In M. Gazzaniga (Ed.), Handbook of cognitive neuro- science (pp. 321-356). New York: Plenum Press.
- Lago C, Martin R (2007). Determinants of possession of the ball in soccer. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 25(9): 969-974.
- Lames M, Hansen G (2001). Designing observational sys- tems to assist top-level groups in sport sports activities. Worldwide Journal of Efficiency Evaluation in Sport 1(1): 83- 90.
- Lames M, McGarry T (2007). On the seek for dependable efficiency indicators in sport sports activities. Worldwide Journal of Efficiency Evaluation in Sport 7(1): 62-79.
- Lebed F (2006). System method to video games and competi- tive taking part in. European Journal of Sport Science 6(1).
- Lopes JAF (2007). Análise diacrónica heterocontingente dos métodos de jogo ofensivo no futebol: estudo em equipas de nível competitivo superior. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Faculdade de Desporto da Universidade do Porto.
- McGarry T, Anderson D, Wallace S, Hughes M, Franks I (2002). Sport competitors as a dynamical self-organizing system. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 20(10): 771-781.
- McGarry T, Franks IM (1994). A stochastic method to predicting competitors squash match-play. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 12: 573-584.
- McGarry T, Franks IM (1995). Modeling aggressive squash efficiency from quantitative evaluation. Human Efficiency Eight(2): 113-129.
- McGarry T, Franks IM (1996). In the hunt for invariant athlet- ic behaviour in sport: an instance from championship squash match-play. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 14(5): 445-456.
- McGarry T, Franks IM (2007). System method to video games and aggressive taking part in: Reply to Lebed (2006). European Journal of Sport Science 7(1): 47-53.
- McGarry T, Khan MA, Franks IM (1999). On the presence and absence of habits traits in sports activities: an instance from championship squash match-play. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 17: 297-311.
- Memmert D, Perl J (2006). Sport intelligence evaluation by way of a mix of variance-analysis and neural networks. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport Four(1): 29-39.
- Moutinho C (2000). Estudo da estrutura interna das acções da
distribuição em equipas de voleibol de alto nível de rendimento - contributo para a caracterização e prospectiva do jogador dis- tribuidor. Dissertação de Doutoramento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Neville A, Atkinson G, Hughes M (2008). Twenty-five years of sport efficiency analysis within the Journal of Sport Sciences. Journal of Sport Sciences 26(Four): 413-426.
- Palut Y, Zanone PG (2003). Tennis investigation as a non- linear complicated system. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport 2(2): 132-134.
- Palut Y, Zanone PG (2005). A dynamical evaluation of tennis: Ideas and knowledge. Journal of Sports activities Sciences 23(10):1021- 1032.
- Pereira N (2006). Análise diacrónica da transição defesa-ataque em equipas de Futebol de rendimento superior. Estudo dos padrões de jogo recorrendo à Análise Sequencial e de Coordenadas Polares. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Faculdade de Ciências do Desporto e de Educação Física da Universidade do Porto.
- Perl J (2004). Modelling dynamic programs primary elements and software to efficiency evaluation. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport three(2):19-28.
- Perl J, Weber Ok (2004). A neural community method to pat- tern studying in sport. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport three(1): 67-70.
- Pfeiffer M, Perl J (2006). Evaluation of tactical constructions in group handball by way of synthetic neural networks. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport 5(1): Four-14.
- Prudente J (2004). Análise da efficiency táctico-técnica no Andebol de alto nível: estudo das acções ofensivas com recurso à análise sequencial. Dissertação de Doutoramento. Universidade da Madeira.
- Reep C, Benjamin B (1968). Talent and likelihood in Affiliation Soccer. Journal Royal Soc. Statistic 1(131):581- 585.
- Schöllhorn W (2003). Coordination dynamics and its con- sequences on sports activities. Worldwide Journal of Laptop Science in Sport 2(2):40-46.
- Silva AP (2004). Modelação de padrões de jogo em Futebol de alto rendimento. Um estudo realizado no Mundial 2002 Coreia/Japão, com recurso à análise sequencial e à técnica de coor- denadas polares. Madri: A. Silva. Dissertação de Mestrado em Treino de Alto Rendimento. Universidade Autónoma de Madrid.
- Smith DJ (2003). A framework for understanding the coaching course of resulting in elite efficiency. Sports activities Medication 33(15):1103-1126.
- Teodorescu L (1985). Contributi al concetto di gioco sportivo di squadra. / Contribution to the idea of group sport. In In, L’insegnamento dei giochi sportivi, Rome, CONI, Scuola dello Sport, 1985, p. 19-35. Italy.
- Thomas A (2006). The influence of puck possession and placement on Ice Hockey technique. Journal of Quantitative Evaluation in Sports activities 2(1):1-16.
- Wiemeyer J (2003). Who ought to play through which place in soccer? Empirical proof and unconventional modelling Worldwide Journal of Efficiency Evaluation in Sport three(1):1- 18.
- Worthington E (1974). Studying & educating soccer expertise. California: Hal Leighton Printing Firm.
Tactical evaluation in group sports activities
- revista:miolo Eight/6/09 12:13 Web page 89
Copyright of Revista Portuguesa de Ciências do Desporto is the property of Universidade do Porto, Faculdade
de Desporto and its content material is probably not copied or emailed to a number of websites or posted to a listserv with out the
copyright holder's categorical written permission. Nonetheless, customers could print, obtain, or e-mail articles for
particular person use.