Directions: Read through Chapter 1. Then, answer the questions here. We will likely refer back to elements of Chapter 1 as we go further into the content of this course. I am not expecting multiple paragraphs for each of these answers. However, do your best to indicate you have read the material. Remember, this is an upper level synthesis course.
1) Explain how Ancient philosophers (Greek and Roman) would have interpreted the common saying in the English language, “You are what you eat.”
2) How would later philosophers, like Machiavelli, Montesquieu, Malthus, Mill, and Marx explain “you are what you eat?” Your answer should contrast the practical role of food in the economy, as opposed to the metaphorical role.
3) Explain why there has there been a resurgence in philosophers studying and writing about food in recent decades.
4) Explain this sentence from the book, “…it seems that when it comes to risk it is the question of what we choose NOT to eat that creates an opportunity to frame dietary questions in ethical terms.”
5) Explain what the author means when he says forcing somebody to eat dog meat could legitimately cause someone to be harmed.
6) Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18UK5IMRDI&t=6s. It is referred to in the text. How does Žižek argue that Starbucks sell san ideology related to social justice?
7) Provide two additional explanations of you are what you eat that come up in the text.
8) In a list/bullet point form, provide 5 additional points that you think are important from this chapter.
9) Finally, think of a question you have after reading and reflecting on this material in Chapter 1. Please write it here (leaving this blank is not acceptable).
-research paper writing service
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Free Unlimited Revisions
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
Original & Confidential
24/7 Customer Support
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.