Discussion 2: Reveal or Conceal?
To prepare for this Discussion Assignment , pay particular attention to the following Learning Resources:
The four C’s of emotions – “see attachments.”
Emotional Incompetence or Gender-Based Stereotyping – “see attachments.”
Emotions At Work: Needless Or Necessary? (forbes.com)
Upon reading the Learning Resources related to emotional balance, explore the following situation:
Sujit is the manager of a small team. He has risen through the ranks of the company and is deeply committed to his work. Recently, his company accelerated the production time line, but is still expecting the same results from all employees. Sujit and his team now have one-third of the time they need to do their jobs. No additional compensation (either financially or in the form of additional paid days off) will be offered to employees for meeting the new time lines. It is not the first time this has happened since he has been with the company, but this is the most extreme. It should also be noted that in this company’s culture, it is not considered acceptable to miss a deadline.
The team has expressed its concern and dismay to Sujit, who, in turn, has shared his concern with other managers within the company. However, he has not taken the steps to discuss this matter with his superiors, as within this culture, that action is likely to be seen as admitting weakness or making excuses. His reluctance to approach his superiors is complicated by the fact that the economy is not stable, and there are very few job opportunities at competing companies. Sujit had a colleague who “went to bat” for his team and was terminated shortly thereafter.
As pressures mount, Sujit and his team are becoming increasingly strained and are no longer able to maintain adequate work–life balance. The products are still being delivered on time, but with great cost to all team members. Sujit has noticed the pressure is taking an emotional toll on his team, and also on him. His team members have come to him to talk about how the pressure is impacting their perceptions of their work and their abilities, not to mention what it is doing to their well-being outside of work.
Sujit has a midyear review with one of his superiors who exhibits the deeply held beliefs of this company’s culture. While he is expecting a positive review, he is feeling the strain of how the results have been achieved. Increasingly, he is feeling pressure from his team to speak up on their behalf, as they experience degraded work–life balance, fatigue, and job dissatisfaction. He himself is no longer taking lunch, is not sleeping well at night, and is having problems with his personal relationships.
His boss opens the conversation with, “So, Sujit, how is everything going?”
In this example, would it be most wise for Sujit to reveal or conceal his emotions to his boss during this meeting? Why do you feel this is the best answer for this situation? Suggest some language Sujit may say in response to his boss’s prompt. Discuss how Sujit’s choices might impact the culture of the organization.
**Discussion Assignment – Post a cohesive Respond to the following listed below:
· Examine whether it would it be wise for Sujit to reveal or conceal his concerns to his boss during this meeting. Why do you feel this is the best answer for this situation?
· Suggest some language Sujit may say in response to his boss’s prompt.
· Discuss how Sujit’s choices could potentially impact the culture of the organization.
· Provide an example from your own experience where you faced something similar in which you found you or your team were experiencing circumstances in the workplace that were impacting your emotions or their emotions. What did you do at the time? Looking back, what would you have done differently, and why? (If you would not have changed things, why not?)
· To what extent do you think leaders can balance the emotions of their teams or influence organizational culture? What factors might impact their influence? Why would it be important (or not)?
· Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, as well as other credible resources you have read; or what you have observed and experienced.
· 3 or 4 paragraphs
· APA citing
· No plagiarism
-research paper writing service
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Free Unlimited Revisions
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
Original & Confidential
24/7 Customer Support
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.