Create a hypothetical data set of 10 patients in an Excel spreadsheet that demonstrates the results of an informatics initiative. Write a 1-2 page executive summary explaining the spreadsheet and the results of the initiative.
Assessment 2 Instructions: Executive Summary to Administration
• Create a hypothetical data set of 10 patients in an Excel spreadsheet that demonstrates the results of an informatics initiative. Write a 1-2 page executive summary explaining the spreadsheet and the results of the initiative.
Nursing Informatics can provide health care organization executives with critical information to aid them in prioritizing organizational initiatives and measuring organizational results. Nowhere is this more important than in the realm of ethics and regulation. Once gathered, it is imperative data be accurately interpreted and efficiently communicated to key stakeholders for use in on-going decision making.
There can be tremendous legal ramifications if regulatory and legal requirements are not met. Demonstrate the science of informatics in an executive summary to administration highlighting the importance of ethics and regulation.
Identify a specific organizational health care outcome that benefits from the use of informatics and supports the strategic plan of an organization, keeping in compliance with ethics and regulations. This assessment has two parts:
• Create a HIPAA compliant spreadsheet (you can find, create, or use data from your practice setting) of the initiative.
o This is a basic Excel spreadsheet for one identified patient population issue using the requirements described below.
Part 2—Executive Summary
• Develop a 1–2 page narrative in the form of an executive summary to explain the spreadsheet. As you prepare the content for your summary, consider the following:
o Your target audience. Keep in mind that the goal of this summary is to ensure that stakeholders have accurate and concise data, information, and plans.
o The importance of creating a HIPAA compliant spreadsheet.
o How selected theory or conceptual models were used to effect the change.
o How standards of practice were used to effect the change.
o An explanation of the trending of data and how this helped the organization understand the current health care outcome.
o Define baseline data, how often you measured data for data trending, and why this was important for the organization to understand related to safe practice.ï»¿
o The use of regulatory information supporting informatics as science to produce safe practice.
Review the Executive Summary to Administration scoring guide prior to submission to ensure you address all required grading criteria
Example Assessment: You may use the assessment examples, linked in the Assessment Examples resource study, to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like.
• A basic Excel spreadsheet using:
o 10 hypothetical de-identified patients.
o Trending data for each of 2 quantitative data criteria.
o 2 Excel formulas (addition, multiplication, et cetera).
Part 2—Executive Summary:
• Title page: Include a running head your name, course, date, and faculty name.
• Reference: Include 5–7 scholarly sources. Additional references may be used.
• Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
• APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting. Use a running head, title on the first line of the first page of text, a brief introduction, a minimum of Level 1 headings used for each section of the paper, and a conclusion.
• Length of paper: 1–2 typed, double-spaced pages.
• Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Submit your paper to the assignment area for grading.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
• Competency 1: Apply theoretical frameworks and models of nursing informatics to professional nursing practice.
o Apply an informatics model solution to a specific organizational strategic outcome related to regulatory and legal requirements.
o Apply outcome data in the context of using researched theory or models to effect change.
• Competency 2: Apply standards of practice in nursing informatics to address gaps in practice in a health care organization, practice setting, or community.
o Apply outcome data in the context of standards of practice to support the main points of the executive summary.
• Competency 3: Analyze how regulatory bodies, rules, regulations, and requirements impact the use of health information technology in nursing practice and organizational operations.
o Assess the use of regulatory information related to your example in the context of safe practice.
• Competency 4: Integrate ethical and legal practices into delivering quality health care using technology in various environments.
o Analyze the importance of creating a HIPAA compliant spreadsheet.
• Competency 6: Communicate as a practitioner-scholar, consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
o Written communication is professional in tone, free of grammar and spelling errors, and appropriate for the intended audience.