1. Attend an open meeting. (Anyone can come, not just chemically dependent people).
2. Be prepared to introduce yourself using your first name and stating that you are a nursing student and want to learn about the organization and experience what it is like so that you will be able to refer people helpfully.
3. Do not contribute financially because each group is self-supporting by the members.
4. Remember that when you hear and who you see at the meeting is confidential.
5. It is best to attend a meeting by yourself (not with other students) because several extra people at smaller meetings will seriously disturb the group process.
6. Include date and time of experience. E.g. 9/02/22, 8am-10am.
Once you have attended the meeting/court, write a brief summary of your experience (1-2 pages): Answer the following questions: 1) What did you feel as you were attending the session? 2) What did you learn from the session? 3) What is one thing that you learned that you will be able to utilize in your nursing career?