This assignment utilizes a case depicting a real-life situation of which you will conduct a detailed case analysis. This will involve reading the provided case, researching the company, identifying a problem/challenge, and compiling three to five potential alternatives that could solve the problem. Finally, you will conduct additional research in order to determine which of the alternatives you will recommend—include your rationale and supporting research.
First, read the case study: “Best Buy Co., Inc.,” found beneath the Unit II Study Guide on the Unit II homepage. You will use the Case Analysis Template to complete this assignment. This analysis should include supporting documentation as well as the financial statements of the organization.
It is expected that a minimum of three managerial tools be used including (but not exclusively) political, economic, sociocultural, technological, ecological, and legal (PESTEL), strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT), Porter’s Five Forces, balanced scorecard, gap analysis, root cause analysis, and/or McKinsey 7-S Model. These tools could be presented within the analysis in table format.
In order to successfully complete this case study, you need to use Mergent Online or Business Source Ultimate Database to research companies using scholarly research (versus a Google search) to research industries/competitors. This is the basis for your external analysis and identification of the problem within the company. This will also provide supporting research within your recommendations.
Your completed case study must be at least five pages in length, and you must use at least five peer-reviewed academic sources that are no more than five years old. Adhere to APA Style when constructing this assignment, including in-text citations and references for all sources that are used. Please note that no abstract is needed. Utilization of the provided template will guide you through the case analysis’ process.
Case Study Source: ([Insert Year of Publication]). Best Buy Co., Inc. Case Study. McGraw-Hill Create. https://online.vitalsource.com/books/9781307538380
Unit [Insert unit number] Case Analysis
NOTE: It is recommended that you use the subheadings as provided below. Be sure to remove the bullet points and write your case study in paragraph form.
• Provide a brief introduction of the case.
• Provide information about the company, product, and industry.
• What are the details of the situation? Make sure to include who, what, why, when, how.
• Perform a competitive analysis identifying a minimum of three competitors and comparing each of a list of attributes.
• Perform an industry analysis demonstrating the health of the industry (research and supporting quantitative information required).
• The use of analysis tools such as PESTEL, SWOT, or Porter’s Five Forces would be appropriate here.
• Identify and provide a thorough explanation of the perceived and underlying problems as well as the potential long-term effects.
• Provide alternatives or strategies that the company could implement. Include a minimum of three alternatives with multiple advantages/disadvantages of each applying the strengths and weaknesses within the company (Alternative 1, Alternative 2… using bullet points is fine)
• Discuss common considerations. What are the decision options? Are some stronger than others? What is at stake with each of these considerations (what is the level of risk)?
Recommendation and Implementation
• Choose which of the alternatives would provide the best solution to the problem, and provide thorough rationale. Use of decision-making tools would be appropriate here.
• Explain how would you implement within the company. Construct a strategy for implementation.
• Simply summarize your case in 1-2 paragraphs.
• Reference the source of the case.
• Reference additional resources you used in your evaluation. Remember that the assignment has a minimum requirement of five references. Each must have at least one corresponding in-text citation.