PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
– Please cite your work in your responses
– Please use APA (7th edition) formatting
– All questions and each part of the question should be answered in detail (Go into depth)
– Response to questions must demonstrate understanding and application of concepts covered in class,
– Use in-text citations and at LEAST 2 resources per discussion from the school materials that I provided to support all answers.
– No grammatical errors; Complete sentences are used. Proper formatting is used. Citations are used according to APA
– The use of course materials to support ideas is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
– Lastly, Responses MUST be organized (Should be logical and easy to follow)
In CCA 610: Cloud Services and Technology, you assumed the role of an IT analyst at BallotOnline, a company providing electronic voting solutions worldwide. Your proposal to begin migrating systems to the cloud has been approved.
BallotOnline has now initiated preparations for the cloud deployment. The company decided to start with deeper investigations of crucial technologies enabling cloud computing. You became acquainted with the basics of these technologies in CCA 610.
In this project, you will conduct more in-depth investigation of cloud networking, which makes cloud connectivity on-demand operations possible. You need to have a good understanding of this as you prepare the BallotOnline network for migration to the cloud as well as designing the appropriate network infrastructure in the cloud for BallotOnline.
To do that, you will assume the role of a BallotOnline network engineer. You will explore the network protocols that enable the company and its customers to connect to the cloud, as well as technologies making it possible to create on-demand in-cloud virtual networks into which the cloud resources will be deployed.
Step 1: Review Networking Concepts
In this step, you will establish an understanding of networking concepts and terms. It will help the recipients of your technical report, including BallotOnline’s technical management, to become familiar with networking vocabulary and definitions.
You will start with reviewing basic networking concepts such as local area network (LAN), Ethernet, and packet switching—the technique of splitting transmitted data into smaller portions and transmitting them separately.
Splitting data into packets, transmitting the packets reliably, and reassembling the data is performed by networking software. It is important to know about basic networking concepts since they serve as the underlying technology for cloud computing. This will ultimately prepare you to submit your technical report for this project.
Networking software follows the popular model of layered design of network protocols, with each layer using the functionality of the layer below it and implementing new functionality to be used by the layer above. The technical report should include the popular internet suite of protocols—TCP/IP. Application protocols such as HTTP or SMTP are implemented in layers above TCP/IP.
Other basic networking concepts include Domain Name Service, network firewalls, and Network Address Translation. As the network engineer for BallotOnline, you know that these protocols play an important role in enabling cloud computing.
Now that you have completed your overview, move to the next step, where you will take a closer look at the main protocol of the internet.
Step 2: Explore Internet Packet Switching—IP
The Internet Protocol (IP) is the workhorse of today’s internet connectivity. As the network engineer for BallotOnline, you know that today’s cloud computing is built on top of IP. Most communication between systems in the cloud is done using this protocol.
IP employs the technique of packet switching, which breaks the data to be transmitted into smaller parts, called packets or datagrams, that are sent over the network independently. Understanding IP is crucial to designing and maintaining cloud deployments, which are provisioned within virtual IP networks and accessed via global internet. You will review the basic elements of IP protocol and include their brief discussion in your technical report.
Network devices have a network address to allow other devices to connect to it. The network addresses used in IP are called IP addressing. BallotOnline will need IPv4 addressing to be able to provide network addresses to a cloud system and to create a virtual network in the cloud.
Every system on the network must have an IP address. The assignments of IP addresses to the network systems can be done manually or dynamically through a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. As the network engineer for BallotOnline, you know that manually assigning IP addresses is time-consuming and should only be used on a small number of systems where the IP address will not change frequently.
Because numeric addresses are not human-friendly, a domain/machine naming convention defines human-readable names for internet hosts. An internet-based service called DNS (Domain Name System) provides translation between the IP addresses and the domain names. In general, people will use the domain names when addressing a system on the internet instead of using its IP address. You will need to explain in the technical report how DNS is used alongside IP addresses.
As the network engineer for BallotOnline, you also know the importance of IP routing, the mechanism used to route the IP packets across the internet from the sender to the recipient. IP routing of IP packets is accomplished by network routers, which determine the next destination for each packet and are able to learn new routes.
In the next step, you will take a closer look at Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), another key cloud component.
– Discuss what software-defined networking is and what networking challenges it addresses.
– What is the role of OpenFlow protocol?
– Describe how BallotOnline could benefit from SDN in its cloud deployment.
Please cite your work in your responses. APA (7th edition) formatting is preferred.
– All questions, and each part of a question, should be thoroughly answered (Go into depth)
– Questions must be answered in a way that demonstrates understanding and application of concepts covered in class.
– To support all answers, use in-text citations and at LEAST two resources per discussion from the school materials that I provided.
– There are no grammatical errors; full sentences are used. Formatting is done correctly. Citations are formatted in accordance with APA guidelines.
– It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that course materials be used to support ideas. – Finally, responses MUST be organized (Should be logical and easy to follow)
You played the role of an IT analyst at BallotOnline in CCA 610: Cloud Services and Technology.