Nuovo cinema Paradiso by Giuseppe Tornatore
1. Representations of childhood and adolescence play a major role in Italian cinema, as many films
demonstrate. Explain the importance of childhood in Nuovo cinema Paradiso.
2. Giuseppe Tornatore is interested in a meta-cinematic, self-reflexive brand of cinema. Using the
example of Cinema Paradiso, explain what is Tornatore’s approach to his cinematic heritage.
3. Cinema Paradiso by Tornatore ties the life of the community to the role of cinema and to changes
that take place in cinematic production and reception. Comment on these issues.
4. Since early 1980s Italian cinema entered a state of economical and artistic crisis. What are the main
reasons ofthis decay and how they are showed by the movie?
5. Nuovo cinema Paradiso reaffirms the traditional values of cinema such as education, life experience,
emotion versus the show business and the profit. Explain this aspect of the movie.
6. Nostalgia, a sweet bitter memory of the past, is an important aspect of the movie. What can you tell