• Based on Emily’s diet recall, explain to her why this diet plan is not appropriate for long-term weight loss. What are some of the possible health complications of this diet?
The diet is not appropriate since it involves strict energy restrictions making it impossible to maintain for a long period. Fad dieters find themselves in chronic dieting syndrome. Strict dieting can trigger physical and psychological to a patient. For example, some of the symptoms Emily is presenting could be due to strict dieting.
• What is missing from this diet plan? Discuss 3 ways Emily could achieve a better nutrient balance.
Three important nutritional components are missing including carbohydrates, proteins, and fat. The first strategy is to eat whole grains, fruits, and vegetables rich in fiber to cater for the carbohydrates at 45-65 percent. The second strategy is to eat lean foods in small portions at 10-35 percent of the food. The third strategy is to eat fatty acids from plants and minimal animal fat at 15-25 percent.
• According to the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation, what are Emily’s current energy needs? To lose about 1 pound per week, what should her calorie goal be?
The goal is 2,040 500kcal/day
• Help the patient set a SMART goal (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely) to help her make a healthy lifestyle change.
The smart goal is to avoid making a separate menu but to fit in the family meals. The client should season the food or prepare the food in a way that will reduce the kilocalories such as avoiding fat. Another approach is to avoid being obsessed with calories counter and learn the general values of home-prepared meals. The client should modify the recipes and read labels to understand the values.
• What are the physical activity recommendations you would make for Emily to help her achieve her goal?
The physical activities appropriate for the client include aerobic exercises such as cycling, walking, swimming, and jogging. The client should have light activities for at least 30 minutes to reduce excess fat and achieve the weight reduction goal.