Case Scenario: Tuberculosis Week 3 Discussion
Wilson is a 36-year-old migrant worker. He was admitted to the Hospital with a cough, unintended weight loss, and night sweats. He is staying with 6 friends in a one bedroom apartment near the strawberry field where he works. The ED physician suspects Tuberculosis (TB).
1. What diagnostic testing will the Provider order to confirm a diagnosis of TB?
2. What Isolation precautions do you expect to be put in place and why?
3. Describe the recommended treatment regimen for TB, including the rationale for combination drug therapy.
4. Identify the reason compliance to medication therapy is often a concern in the patient with TB.
5. What should be done for Wilson’s 6 roommates?