Please watch all of the movies listed, and skim all of the readings I present.
Questions on second web page.
THE SECOND MOTHERR (Anna Muylaert, 2015, Brazil)
HELI (Amat Escalante, 2013, Mexico)
THE HARDER THEY COME (Perry Henzell, 1973, Jamaica)
SUGAR CANE ALLEY (Euzhan Palcy, 1983, Martinique)
WADJDA (Haifaa Al-Mansour, 2014, Saudi Arabia)
*Try solely two questions. Query # 1, Part A, is obligatory. Select another query from Part B.
*Hold your solutions clear, concise and analytical.
*Handle your responses to the precise calls for of every query.
*Your solutions ought to be 800-1000 phrases per query.
(double-spaced, 12-pitch font, MLA format)
*Illustrate your solutions with pertinent references, and cite key sources consulted.
1. Your papers might be graded for depth and logical circulate; notably, as they combine assigned readings and different creditable sources. Typically, in exams, particulars and nuances represent the distinguishing markers between satisfactory and excellent papers.
2. Just remember to perceive a query effectively, even the seemingly best of all, earlier than selecting it. Some individuals carry out beneath their potentials or expectations not out of ignorance however as a result of their solutions don't handle the precise calls for of the query!
three. You could use exterior sources, the place such would improve your mental responses, and, crucially, there are NO specs about what number of sources MUST be cited. Briefly, assigned studying supplies (The Reader) and, if pertinent, some other scholarly sources that help your arguments would do. Your examination responses should be within the MLA format, with endnotes not footnotes.
* Answered all elements of the questions.
* Cogent utility of lectures and readings.
* Cited different related supplies appropriately.
* Recognized characters, administrators and conditions aptly.
* Clear, participating and scholarly analyses.
* Averted pointless summaries of movies.
* Hardly any spelling or grammatical errors.
* No colloquialisms (slangs and casual language).
SECTION A (obligatory)
1) Discover, with examples from readings and nationwide cinemas thus far, the complexities of ‘Third
World Cinema’, their huge spheres of creativeness, illustration, intervention and contestations.
Trace: Begin considering, with consideration to the readings, movies and nationwide cinemas encountered thus far, how socio-political parts, historic contexts, elaborate views, narrative sensibilities and wide-ranging themes, add complexities to the time period, ‘Third World Cinema’.
SECTION B (select one beneath)
2) With consideration to every movie’s narrative realms and trajectories, analyze the themes of society,
childhood, marginality, and struggles for self-determination in The Second Mom and Heli.
three) Focus on, with requisite references to their social, political, financial and aesthetic dynamics,
the discourses of group and resistance in The Tougher They Come and Sugar Cane Alley.
four) Referencing the movie’s context of manufacturing, study how vital configurations, anchored in feminist sensibilities, faith, tradition and group form the narrative dynamics of Wadjda.